Tax Assistance

Volunteers from AARP offer free assistance with filing federal and state tax returns.

Locations, Dates, and Times

George Latimer Central Library
February 5 - April 12, 2019

  • Tuesdays, 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
  • Fridays, 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Walk-in only -- first come, first served. Lines form and slots may fill prior to starting time.

Hayden Heights Library
February 5 - April 11, 2019

  • Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
  • Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Walk-in only -- first come, first served. Lines form and slots may fill prior to starting time.

Highland Park Library
February 7 - April 11, 2019

  • Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.

By appointment only. No walk-ins. Call 651-695-3700 to make an appointment. Appointments accepted starting January 22, 2019.

Rondo Community Library
February 9 - April 13, 2019

  • Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.

Walk-ins only: the first 20 in line before the library opens have the best chance of completing their returns during their first visit.  Approximately 20 clients will be served each Saturday.

Sun Ray Library
February 4 - April 15, 2019

  • Mondays, 10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
  • Fridays, 10:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

By appointment only. All appointments for 2019 are now fully booked. No more appointments can be made at Sun Ray.

No service February 18 (closed for Presidents Day).

What to Bring:

In order to receive this free tax service, the following is required:

  • Valid, current photo ID—MN state driver’s license or state ID or current passport.
  • A Social Security or an ITIN card (REQUIRED), and the date of birth for all taxpayers and dependents listed on the return. Social Security Form SSA-1099 is a valid substitute if it has the complete Social Security number on it.
  • LAST YEAR’S TAX RETURN—required if itemizing, otherwise highly suggested.
  • Tax documents and records of all income—W-2’s, unemployment insurance benefits, bank or mutual fund interest, pension or other retirement plan payments, tips, investment income, and tax refunds (both state and property tax refunds).
  • Forms of all government assistance and payments—Social Security, SSDI, Supplemental Security Income, GA, MSA, Veterans Benefits, and Housing Support (GRH).
  • Statement of Property Tax Payable in 2019 (when available) or Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP).
  • If itemizing, include Statement of Property Tax Paid in 2018, mortgage interest statement, and all organized documentation on education loan interest, medical and education expenses, charity contributions, and expense-related documents.
  • All documents demonstrating health care coverage or exemption, under the Affordable Care Act
    • Documentation proving health care coverage for you, your spouse, and all your dependents.
    • Information indicating which months of the year that you and all household dependents were covered by medical insurance, including all Forms 1095-B and 1095-C.
    • Form 1095-A, if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace/Exchange (MNsure).
    • Documentation of a Health Care Exemption received from the IRS or the Marketplace/Exchange (MNsure).

All returns will be electronically filed.

All tax assistance is provided by AARP Volunteers.