Prepare + Prosper
This tax season, Prepare + Prosper is offering three different service types:
Do It Yourself Prep: Online trainings to help you get ready along with the Self-Prep Tax Guide and the software needed to file your taxes for free.
- Reserve a spot in a webinar "Introduction to Preparing Your Own Taxes"
- This is meant to get you ready to file on your own using Prepare + Prosper's TaxSlayer software. No taxes will be filed during the webinar.
- You need a device to access Zoom to take part in the webinar (a laptop or desktop computer is ideal, but a smartphone works too).
- There are only 50 slots available per webinar. This webinar will be offered once a week February 2 through April 20.
Virtual Tax Prep: The entire process will be virtual and require access to a computer, tablet, or smartphone. Appointments may be scheduled beginning January 19th.
- For anyone with more than $6000 of self-employment income, choose a self-employment appointment.
- Conducted over Zoom video conferencing. All documents will be uploaded to Dropbox, a secure file sharing site.
- Upon scheduling an appointment, P+P will send you a confirmation email with detailed instructions on how to prepare for your appointment (including resources for using Zoom and Dropbox).
In-Person Drop-Off Prep: Drop-off services will be offered on an extremely limited basis, by appointment only.
- Drop-off appointments may be scheduled by phone ONLY. Beginning February 8, contact 651-287-0187 to schedule a drop-off appointment.
More details on all three services are available at https://prepareandprosper.org/free-tax-preparation/, opens a new window
Search Tools for Finding Free Tax Help
Minnesota Department of Revenue, opens a new window
Information available in English, Spanish, Hmong, and Somali
AARP Tax-Aide Site Locator, opens a new window
Search by zip code, county, or address.
File Yourself, For Free
IRS Free File
Partnership between the IRS and the Free File Alliance, a group of industry-leading private-sector tax preparation companies that have agreed to provide free commercial online tax preparation and electronic filing.
Free Electronic Filing – Minnesota Department of Revenue
Check site for eligibility criteria for several electronic filing vendors.
My Free Taxes
Partnership between United Way and H&R Block that provides H&R Block Online tax filing software to help you easily and accurately file your taxes from your computer or smartphone.
Minnesota State Taxes
Minnesota State Property Tax Refund
"The Renter's Refund" - Property Tax Refund Information from LawHelpMN (available in several languages)