Reading Together fosters the joy of reading and boosts reading skills through mentorship and creative play.
1st-5th grade students and trained mentors meet weekly, one-on-one, to work on grade-level reading skills in a virtual setting. Students earn books by completing reading goals.
HOLIDAYS AND CLOSURE DATES
First day of Reading Together
November 27-December 1
December 23-January 5, 2020
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Last day of Reading Together
To participate in the program, students must:
- be in grades 1-5
- read just below grade level
- live in or attend school in Saint Paul
- have access to the internet and a computer/phone/tablet/iPad with a camera
- be able to meet with their mentors every week on the same day and time
Student Application Process
Step 1. Fill out the online student application. Please fill out an application for each child. Space is limited and completing an application does not guarantee a spot in the program for your child.
Step 2. Please give us up to two weeks to process your application and get back to you.
Step 3. Once your child has been accepted into the program, we will match your child with a Reading Mentor, schedule a weekly reading session, and confirm the start date.
FAQs for Families
We are looking for volunteers who can serve as a reading mentor and work one-on-one with students once a week.
Reading Together mentors must:
- be at least 16 years old
- be proficient in reading and writing
- have proficient basic computer skills
- have a keen interest in helping children succeed
- have access to the internet and a computer/phone/tablet/iPad with a camera.
- commit to meet at least 45 minutes per week throughout the school year (October-June)
- attend a required, free training
- submit to a background check
Mentor Application Process
Step 1. Download the volunteer application and email it Wendy Neurer (email@example.com). Volunteer opportunities are currently limited and completing an application does not guarantee a spot in the program.
Step 2. Please give us up to two weeks to process you application to get back to you.
Step 3. If accepted, volunteers will be interviewed, undergo a background check, and go through training and orientations.
Step 4. You will be matched with a student, a weekly reading session will be scheduled, and the start date will be confirmed.