Saint Paul Pioneer Press and Dispatch
Indexes available at the George Latimer Central Library.
- 1967 - 1980: A cumulative name index is available.
- 1967 - 1971: Check the annual index under the heading "Obits." The names are not included in the microfiche cumulative names list.
- 1981 - 1996: Check the yellow "names" section of the annual index.
- 1988 - 1992: News article obituaries only (prominent persons or newsworthy deaths)
- 1993 - present: Paid death notices included online.
- Searchable archive (with photos) dating back to 2002 is available on the Pioneer-Press/TwinCities.com website.
Saint Paul Globe
- 1880 - April 30, 1905 - available online in Chronicling America
Print index covering 1971-1986 available at George Latimer Central Library
Online archive -- coverage from 1986 to present. Paid obituaries index starting in 2003.
Searchable index (with photos) dating back to 2001 is available on the Star-Tribune website.
Copies of Obituaries or Death Notices
Minnesota Historical Society - Obituary Request Service
Search services for obituaries and death notices appearing in Minnesota newspapers. Fees apply.
If a date of death is unknown, determine a date with:
- Deaths Recorded in St. Paul, Minnesota City Directories, 1888-1910
- People Records Search - Minnesota Historical Society (death records, 1904-2001)
Searching Saint Paul Newspapers, 1849-present
For early dates, each page of the newspaper must be checked, as a death notice could appear anywhere. Headings to look for include:
or as one or two lines in a column reporting an accident.
Beginning around 1910, death announcements are typically found at the beginning of the classified advertisements. In the Sunday newspapers, death announcements were not in any standardized place.
Information on obtaining copies birth, death, and marriage certificates.
Items cataloged as Saint Paul (Minn.) - Biography
Items cataloged as Minnesota - Biography
Minnesota & St. Paul Biography Clippings - Indexes early newspapers, Ramsey County History, Grand Gazette, Minnesota History, and other reference materials. Available at the George Latimer Central Library.
Index to Biography File Clippings -- (also known as "the morgue"). Covering 1910 - 1945. Clippings from the Saint Paul Pioneer Press and Dispatch newspapers.