Building off the library’s 2022 Strategic Direction, the Facilities Direction presents a vision and recommendations for Saint Paul Public Library’s facilities.
The Facilities Direction includes recommendations for system-wide technology and play-based learning.
The Facilities Direction focuses on three branches that have not been renovated in more than 30 years: Hamline Midway, Hayden Heights, and Riverview libraries.
A community engagement process reached 1,680 people by online survey and over 53 community members at three neighborhood forums.
The Facilities Direction is not a detailed implementation plan or branch-by-branch facility design.
The Facilities Direction sets the visions for Saint Paul Public Library’s facilities, but is not a detailed implementation plan. Learn more about the timeline below.
- Community engagement to inform the Saint Paul Public Library Facilities Direction
- Share community-informed facilities vision and recommendations with City of Saint Paul leaders and community
- Make limited, budget-approved mechanical and electrical improvements and other repairs
- Community engagement to inform decision point for Hamline Midway Library (planned for 2020; delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19)
- Funding secured for design work for Hayden Heights renovation and a limited number of additional mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) system upgrades
- Submit project proposals for the City’s Capital Investments Budget (CIB) process, opens a new window in April, with decision on funding made in December. Below is the application submission timeline posted by the City’s Office of Financial Services (OFS).
- April 2 to April 19 – Capital Planning Team evaluates department CIB projects submitted for 2022/2023 bonding
- May 10 – CIB Committee deliberates on Capital Planning Team recommendations
- June 14 – CIB Committee Public Hearing on 2022/2023 bonding recommendation
- No later than June 30 – CIB Committee forwards bonding recommendation to Mayor
- August – Mayor releases proposed 2022/2023 capital budget
- December – Truth in Taxation Public Hearing before Council
- December – Council adopts 2022 city budget and 2022/2023 capital budget
- Release RFP and hire consultant to support community engagement and schematic design work for all three priority locations: Hamline Midway, Hayden Heights, and Riverview libraries.
- Begin community engagement process to develop community-informed schematic designs for all three priority locations.
- Hamline Midway community engagement process will invite community to determine direction: new building or renovation plus expansion at current site.
- Work with The Friends and City of Saint Paul partners on capital fundraising strategy
- Should the Library secure CIB funding for 2022/2023, develop construction documents and begin construction of any funded projects (Hamline Midway, Hayden Heights, and/or Riverview)
- If the library does not secure funding, it would apply again for CIB funding in 2023 for a 2024/2025