Questions from the Read Brave Saint Paul Team
- In Evicted, Desmond makes it clear that many factors contribute to eviction. Which of these do you think is the biggest issue in Saint Paul? Which issues do you think could be most easily addressed?
- Whose story did you relate to most? Why?
- How do you think your own experiences with housing issues shaped your experience reading Evicted?
- Desmond has suggested that a massive expansion of the housing voucher program could alleviate much of the housing crisis—what do you think of this idea? Discuss some of the potential benefits and drawbacks to Saint Paul residents.
- Have you noticed eviction having an impact on your neighborhood?
- How familiar are you with tenants’ rights in Saint Paul?
- The Minnesota Housing Partnership estimates that more than 50% of renting households in Saint Paul are cost-burdened, meaning they pay more than 30% of their monthly gross income on housing. How do we see the effects of cost-burdened housing in Evicted? How do you see them?
- After reading Evicted, are you motivated to take action to address housing issues in Saint Paul? If yes, what would that action look like?
Read Brave Saint Paul is a citywide, intergenerational reading program set around a common theme relevant to the city. The 2019 Read Brave theme is housing, a critical topic in Saint Paul where thousands of people struggle to afford housing.