In partnership with local nonprofit ThinkSmall, the library is offering "Think Small ParentPowered Texts" – a free program where parents receive three free texts a week with tips on how to develop their child’s social skills, increase motor and language ability and prepare their child for Kindergarten.
Each week we’ll text three fun facts and easy tips, fun facts, and suggested activities that build on what you’re already doing at home, such as getting ready for school, eating meals, and going to the store. Learn more about our partnership with Think Small at ThinkSmall.org/texts.
Why Sign Up?
- It’s easy! Simply visit thinksmall.org/texts or register in person with a Saint Paul Public Library librarian.
- It’s free! There is no cost to sign up for Think Small ParentPowered Texts. (Data and message rates, however, may apply.)
- It works! Stanford University trial studies found that texting programs increased parental involvement at home and school and led to 2-3 months of learning gains.
How do I Sign Up?
- Texts are available in English and Spanish.
- Text SPPL to 70138 for English
- Envié un mensaje de texto con el código SPPL ESP a 70138
Words open up a world of learning. They help children communicate with others, discover new things, and learn all about the world around them.
At bedtime, introduce words that name objects. Get silly and say goodnight to things in your child's room: Goodnight comforter, goodnight lampshade.
Keep naming objects to prepare 4K! Now add descriptive words as you say a silly good morning to things in your child's room: Good morning SHAGGY carpet!