The City of Saint Paul maintains a work and public service environment free from discrimination, violence, harassment, and offensive behavior.* Anyone who engages in such behavior is subject to consequences. We strive to provide safe and comfortable library spaces for all guests and staff.
Disruptive behaviors can result in a one week banning from all Saint Paul Public Libraries and include:
- Shouting, swearing.
- Running and horseplay.
- Interfering with others’ use of the library: blocking free passage, soliciting, panhandling, excessive noise making, or poor personal hygiene.
- Bringing bicycles, skateboards, scooters, or other similar items into the library. Wheelchairs, walkers, and strollers are permitted.
- Bringing non-service animals into library.
- First incident of violating library policies on cell phone use, Internet rules.
- Eating food or drinking uncovered beverages in the library.
- Sleeping and /or snoring.
Behaviors that are illegal or violate library guidelines will result in a one to six month banning depending on severity of infraction and include:
- Defacing, damaging, destroying, or stealing library property or the property of others.
- Making threats against or abuse of library guests or staff. This includes verbal abuse and nonverbal intimidation or harassment including, but not limited to, stalking or staring, online, cell phone, or computer harassment, language that is obscene or sexually harassing, or language that violates Library’s policy against violence, discrimination, harassment, or offensive behavior.
- Aggressive behaviors toward guests or staff.
- Assault of library guests or staff including but not limited to, grabbing, spitting, or hitting.
- Brandishing a weapon.
- Performing obscene acts in library or on library property.
- Consuming or being under the influence of alcoholic beverages or controlled substances that causes a public disturbance or antisocial behaviors.
- Failure to adhere to the Saint Paul Public Library Policy on the Internet or Internet Usage Guidelines. This includes repeat offenses, extending time limits, and using another’s library card.
- Failure to observe banning restrictions or multiple violations.
*The City of Saint Paul will not tolerate discriminatory behavior by or toward any city employee or visitors to city property. Discriminatory behavior includes inappropriate remarks about or conduct related to individual’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, sex, marital status, age, sexual orientation, or status with regard to public assistance. Violent behavior includes the use of physical force, harassment, intimidation, or threat of the same. Harassment includes a pattern of words or conduct that a reasonable person would find abusive. Offensive behavior includes words or conduct that a reasonable person would find reprehensible.