Summer Reads VISTAs work together to fight the summer slide – the decline of literacy skills in low-income children in grades K-3 over the summer. At summer schools and community sites, VISTAs provide reading tutoring to children who are performing below grade-level and are most in need of support. VISTAs also lead small groups in creative and educational enrichment activities.
“We were able to build personal relationships that helped to improve not only their reading scores but also their relationship with reading.” – Anna, 2018 Summer Reads VISTA
Summer Reads VISTAs must be:
- Able to serve full-time for 8 weeks in June, July, and August
- At least 18 years old
- A U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident, refugee, asylee or DACA recipient
- Professional and personal development opportunities
- Extensive training and coaching
- Living allowance (approximately $472 bi-weekly, pre-tax)
- $1,289 education award or $276 stipend at end of service
APPLY at mnliteracy.org/summerreads by May 13, 2019.
Questions? Contact Courtney Zaato at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-251-9151.
50+ positions are available in the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota. Applications accepted on a rolling basis between February and April.